Depression and alcohol abuse can often be connected, with one leading to or exacerbating the other. This is why it’s crucial to address both mental health and substance abuse issues when seeking treatment. At Vertava Health Mississippi, we explore the connection between depression and alcohol abuse and how to get the help you need if you find yourself in this situation.
Vertava Health Mississippi offers depression and addiction treatment. Our patients can receive evidence-based depression and addiction treatment in a safe, supportive environment. Call us today at 844.470.0410 to learn more about depression and alcohol treatment options.
What Is the Connection Between Depression and Alcohol Addiction?
Depression affects millions of Americans every year. And unfortunately, many of them turn to alcohol as a way to self-medicate their symptoms. But it’s important to note that drinking may temporarily reduce feelings of anxiety or sadness in the long run. However, it can lead to more severe mental health issues, such as addiction, worsening your depression even further. Psychotherapy and medication are both effective treatment options for depression, but they may not be as successful when combined with alcohol use. As a result, properly treating your depression may require addressing your substance use as well.
Recognizing the Symptoms of Depression and Alcohol Abuse
Recognizing the symptoms of both depression and alcohol abuse is a crucial first step in seeking help. Symptoms of depression may include:
- Persistent feelings of sadness, hopelessness, or a lack of interest in previously enjoyed activities
- Difficulty concentrating, making decisions, or remembering details
- Changes in sleeping patterns—either insomnia or sleeping too much
- Changes in appetite—significant weight loss or gain
- Physical symptoms such as headaches or stomachaches that do not ease even with treatment
On the other hand, indications of alcohol use could include:
- Increased tolerance to alcohol—needing to drink more to achieve the same effect
- Frequent hangovers or withdrawal symptoms like shaking, sweating, or nausea
- Prioritizing drinking over other responsibilities and commitments
- Continued use of alcohol despite adverse consequences
- Attempts to quit or control drinking but unsuccessful
If you or a loved one are experiencing any of these signs, it is essential to reach out to a professional for help. At Vertava Health Mississippi, we are here to provide the necessary support and treatment to overcome depression and alcohol addiction.
Benefits of Receiving Treatment for Alcohol Abuse and Depression
Receiving treatment for depression and alcohol addiction is proven to have numerous benefits. Treatment programs can help by:
- Breaking the cycle of depression and addiction
- Reducing depression symptoms and improving mood
- Lowering the risk of suicide
- Improving overall physical health
- Increasing ability to cope with stress in a healthy way
- Increasing the quality of life and happiness
- Reducing stress
- Improving relationships with friends and family
- Creating a structure in difficult times
- Providing an opportunity to learn new tools and skills to deal with triggers
Additionally, research has shown that when depression and alcohol are treated together, it enhances the overall well-being of individuals and helps them be less susceptible to relapse. Seeking treatment is the best way to start a journey toward improving mental health, reducing alcohol-related issues, and ultimately leading a healthier and substance-free life.
How to Get Treatment for Alcohol Addiction and Depression
If you or someone you know is struggling with depression and alcohol use, seeking professional help is vital. Fortunately, several treatment options are available for individuals dealing with these co-occurring disorders. These include psychotherapy, cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), and medication-assisted treatment (MAT), such as antidepressants or anti-anxiety medications.
In addition, many rehab centers offer co-occurring disorders treatment programs specifically designed for individuals struggling with both conditions simultaneously. Treatment for depression and alcohol is essential to break the cycle of depression and addiction. If you or someone you know is struggling with depression and alcohol use, don’t hesitate to reach out for help. Treatment is available and can make a huge difference in your mental health and overall well-being.
Contact Vertava Health – Mississippi to Start Depression and Addiction Treatment Today
The connection between depression and alcohol abuse can be dangerous, but there is hope. With the right treatment plan and support system, managing both conditions effectively to live healthier lives free from addiction and mental health issues is possible. Vertava Health Mississippi provides a comprehensive program that includes evidence-based therapies, medication management, and family support.
Our experienced team of professionals aims to help you find the right treatment plan for you so that you can move forward with your life. To learn more about how we can help you on your recovery journey, contact us today at 844.470.0410.