Deciding to enter detox is something to be proud of, but it is also an intimidating experience. What will it be like? What should you expect? Although it’s new, there are things you can do to make your time in a drug and alcohol detox center go more smoothly.
At Vertava Health Mississippi, our team wants you to be ready for recovery, so we want you to know how to prepare for drug detox and how to prepare for alcohol detox. Our drug and alcohol detox center in Mississippi is the perfect environment for you to overcome the initial stage of recovery. For more information about preparing for drug detox or preparing for alcohol detox, reach out to our Vertava Health Mississippi team online or call us at 844.951.1931.
What Is Drug Detox Like?
The main goal of admittance to a drug and alcohol detox center in Mississippi is to clear your body of substances. Though the goal is a physical one, detox is also an emotional experience. It marks the end of one phase of life and the beginning of a new one. Even when the old life has been destructive and unhealthy, it is familiar, and giving up what is familiar can be emotionally uncomfortable.
First, it helps to know what you will be facing. As with many things in life, your fears about an experience are usually worse than the experience itself. The same is true with medically managed detox at a qualified detox center.
The withdrawal symptoms you experience will depend on which substances you are addicted to. However, some of the most common side effects of withdrawal include:
- Sleep disturbances
- Depression or anxiety
- Changes in appetite
- Flu-like symptoms
- Muscle pain
How to Prepare for Drug Detox or Alcohol Detox
Whether you have a substance use disorder or an alcohol use disorder, the process for detox is the same. There are steps to make the process easier, such as:
- Take care of your obligations – Anyone who cares about you wants you to be healthy and happy, even if substance abuse has caused a strain on your relationship. Let your employer and key family members know that you’re entering detox and how long your program will last. If possible, don’t wait until the last minute. Give people time to arrange for pet care, child care, or work substitutes. This step will help alleviate your stress and build a better foundation for your return from rehab.
- Tie up loose ends – If you have bills you need to pay, appointments that need to be canceled, or other day-to-day tasks that need to be taken care of, do it now.
- Pack the essentials – Your whole life is about to change. It’s tempting to bring everything you own with you to the detox facility. Our Vertava Health Mississippi rehab center will have specific guidelines about what can and can’t be brought into the facility. Bring only the minimum number of items that you need. Everything else will be provided.
- Accept your fears – It’s normal to be fearful. Don’t let worries about an imagined future allow you to sabotage your actual future. Expect to be filled with doubt, concerns, questions, and fear. Moving forward despite these fears is part of the process.
- Focus on gratitude – Find at least one thing every day to be grateful for. It may sound like trivial advice, but focusing on gratitude is a powerful tool that can help in preparing for alcohol detox.
Learn How to Prepare for Drug Detox at Vertava Health Mississippi
Our caring recovery experts at Vertava Health Mississippi can help you understand how to prepare for alcohol detox. Call Vertava Health Mississippi today at 844.951.1931 or fill out our online contact form for answers about the detox process and addiction treatment options.